Mission Planner - Battery Monitor

Hi All, I’m trying to work out what setting to put into Power Monitor/Module Configuration in Mission Planner — Copter documentation (ardupilot.org)

I have this battery GOLDBAT RC Battery 3S 5200 50C 11.1V Lipo Battery Pack with Deans Plug for Helicopter RC Airplane RC Car Airplane Drone FPV Racing (2packs) : Amazon.co.uk: Toys & Games

Can’t recall seeing how to do this in The Drone Dojo (teachable.com)

Any suggestions ? Thank you

You’ve identified the link describing how to do it.
So it is unclear what you are asking.

Thank you for replying.

What I meant to say was what options do i choose from the list of things available - here’s my current settings

in the Pre-Flight check and HUD the battery reports like so

I was expecting it to say the same Volts as the battery (at least near to it) and the remaining %

I’m using Mission Planner 1.3.76 (and also 1.3.74 as a second in case it’s a version issue) and the message output for APM shows

02/03/2022 18:32:39 : PX4v2 00320019 344E5016 2039384E
02/03/2022 18:32:39 : Frame: OCTA
02/03/2022 18:32:39 : PX4: 34e1d543 NuttX: 7c5ef883
02/03/2022 18:32:39 : APM:Copter V3.3 (340970fc)

I’m connecting over Telemetry if that makes any difference ?

I have also been advised to connect the Battery directly rather than via the ‘smoke stopper’ which came with the Kit purchased from DroneDoJo. I was experiencing only 2 props spinning properly but when connected directly all 4 now spin.

I have another issue i’m not understanding and will plug away at it but may raise another thread here - it’s the GPS as shown in the Pre-Flight output, outside and inside 0 Sats showing and blinnking Blue on Pixhawk.

Any advise is welcome , one day i will do the same in return , thanks all :slight_smile:

Paul

To confirm, you are using PX4 rather than Pixhawk? That could be the problem.

Also verify what flight controller firmware you loaded.

Use the ‘smoke stopper’ whenever you test a new build or change the electronics. Then remove it. Better to be safe than sorry!

The GPS message indicates your GPS is not connected, not that you are connected and not getting a signal.

I also noticed there is a compass variance shown. Always better to re-calibrate the compass once out in the field.

It’s also a good idea to attach and fly with a battery checker which will also alert you when voltages get low and you should land.

Thank you for replying.

The Original PixHawk that came with the Kit

had an issues when i was connecting / reconnecting the mini usb and resulted in it’s connector breaking and falling inside the unit

I posted a message Pixhawk replacement - Drone Talk - Drone Dojo (dojofordrones.com) asking if anyone knew where in the UK to get a new one, i got one in the end which to me seemed to fit the bill.

This one has this quoted on the side

And the Drone currently looks like this

Connecting via Telemetry shows image

2 days ago i attached the Legs and connected Benewake TF-Luna LiDAR Module Range Finder Sensor Single-Point Micro Ranging Module 5V UART IIC 0.2m~8m Measurement, for Arduino Pixhawk Pedestrian Vehicle Detection : Amazon.co.uk: Business, Industry & Science

I’m working my way through the Precision Landing course, after connecting that to Serial 4/5 following the info Benewake TF02 / TF03 lidar/ TF-Luna — Copter documentation (ardupilot.org) When i connect now, Motor A has stopped spinning but 3 others are fine via Motor Test and the documentation mentions sonarrange status which shows 0 when i check.

At the moment the drone does not have knowledge of the GPS even though it is connected and i have previously done compass calibration. Occasionally out the back when i do this step i see white dots but as i rotate the drone it follows the ‘flow’ of dots but then stops

Usually i just see what is above tho out the back, where no white dots appear

I know all the above sounds a lot of issues, i was expecting some problems when i first started this project and i’m still willing to learn to overcome these unforeseen ones. My main goal is programming the drone with Python whereas hardware aspects are of interest too but not my main strength at the moment. Not knowing for example to Smoke Stopper was a temporary thing to use caused me a long delay, still having it connected until Caleb said to remove it via email.

I was thinking about reverting to the original pixhawk but i thought i needed the USB connector for some reason, if i don’t then i could swap it back and see if it plays nicely with the GPS and Lidar module. As for Motor A no longer spinning , not thought about that at the moment. Each time i get something going something else happens.

Thanks for listening :slight_smile:

What is the firmware you loaded?

The naming conventions used can be confusing. There was a discontinued ‘PX4’ autopilot, and Holybro sells a ‘Pixhawk 4’.

The “PX4” logo on the side refers to an alternative firmware offered by Lorenz Meier in Zurich. We use ardupilot in this course. But this controller should accommodate ardupilot. You can always confirm with where you bought it (Unmanned Tech?).

The telemetry indicates you have configured it for ‘OCTA’… octo? Run through the setup once again ensuring you are using the latest ardupilot firmware, configure for ‘QUAD/X’. Then in battery monitor use HW version ‘Pixhawk’. Using the incorrect setup might account for the GPS and motor issues.

It should look something like this -

With regards to your main goal of programming, I would recommend spending more time with the SITL. I do this to test out programs, then fly in the field.

Hi, Thanks again for replying,

I returned to the course at this point to Flash Firmware –

and i choose …

The video implies you can get the latest version that is supported and I have tried by clicking the Copter 4.1.5 Official , also did the same process to match the version in your screen shot. I have therefore tried both 4.1.5 and 4.1.1.

After the flashing completes and I reconnect, both versions show this

And it seems to timeout after a while then gets all the params, in Messages tho it quotes Unsupported Frame and I can’t do anything such as motor test

At one point it did say GPS1 was detected with the baud rate (that may have been the message display as part of 4.1.5 ) but as you can see above that does not show. I did a Calibration (left / Right etc) and it accepted it but the GPS Status still says 0.

I did get the Pixhawk from Search results – Unmanned Tech UK FPV Shop (unmannedtechshop.co.uk) and they do quote AutoPilot board – seems like they have no stock of this now.

As I was using the USB as shown on the course to Flash the Firmware it came back to me that’s what caused the connection to break on the one that came with the kit and as I needed the USB connection I needed a replacement one. If I am able to flash and do other things without the USB then I could connect the first one again, or perhaps from the firmware download options I need to choose a different option so that it recognises QUAD frame?

I don’t mind getting replacement parts if the unmanned one is the reason it does not all work , not sure where in the UK I can get one if so.

I’m also using SITL, learning the software and testing out scripts there and it will soon come a time when i need the drone to be flyable. At the moment i have never managed to raise the drone off the floor, by Mission planner or RC - both previously i was able to get the Motors spinning but now i can’t do that but Mission Planner does react in the Quick Tab and HUD when i move the drone so there is some good parameters coming through. Thanks

You are flashing correctly.

The frame is selected in Setup -

When there is a clear path to satellites, you would see it her -
If you are unable to test the motors in MP, ensure everything is wired correctly and run through all the calibrations again.

I buy most of my stuff from Amazon, Banggood or Aliexpress. When I searched ‘UK drone supplies’ a bunch of stores popped up.

Replacement Motors / ESCs
closed #9

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.