PL sim script unaffected by wind speed?

The precision landing sim script seems designed to succeed, ie, the velocity def moves the drone a bit, but not totally out of the field of view (FOV), and so it lands uneventfully. What happens if it goes out of the FOV?

I set the script altitude significantly higher than 4m and indeed the vehicle stayed hovering in guided mode, looking down on the tiny aruco, forever waiting.

I tried setting a high wind speed in mavproxy but no luck. It seems the script ignored anything I could throw at it. So then I tried the same in gazebo but no luck. Each time it landed with no problem.

Would like to understand why these changes have no effect.

hey Jax,

I know you’re likely talking about the simulator, but I attempted to integrate PL with aurco on the navio2/rpi and it failed miserably, as you’ve described. In my experience, the aruco marker was detected, the drone started to react but almost always went out of FOV and just landed straight down. I didnt change the lander() function, followed all the steps in the video and tried everything in my ability to resolve the problem, but I had to stop due to winter setting in. My px py values were non-zero, so i know they were getting processed but have no idea why AC had such a hard time correcting itself.

I plan to return to the field to retest this eventually, hopefully with better results.

Not sure if its relevant to your question, but I started a thread a few months ago on my issue with a real drone: Aruco Landing Not Working - Real Drone

Ah we can use some of that rain in AZ ! My question was more about how to interact with the sim world.

I hope to get to a real PL in the near future, but I assume you made all the appropriate changes for the larger aruco marker, including calibration, marker printing accuracy, …

Hope to hear of your success soon.

BTW, do you know how to upload an image here?

closed #4

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.