Stuck on wpa_supplicant.conf file Step

I made the wpa_supplicant.conf and added it to the boot but I can’t get my pi lite os to connect to my network. I tried both my 2.4 and 5 ghz networks and triple checked the credentials but my light never goes red and I can’t ever find my drone with advanced ip scanner. I have a pi security cam that does show up on adv ip so I know it’s the drone not connecting. The process to setup my camera was the same as this so I’m confused as to why it’s not connecting any help is appreciated thanks!

Edit: It was connecting to my network but did not show as Raspberry Pi Foundations like my other pi devices on Advanced IP Scanner I still had an issue ssh in and I had to use a micro hdmi and keyboard and go and change raspi-config and enable ssh after making a blank ssh file with no extension in the boot file.

Hello Christian and anyone who needs help in this step for building your drone!

I spotted that even though the Advanced IP Scanner might not show a raspberrypi manufacturer, our RPi might still be connected to the internet (It might not have a manufacturer name at all and this happened to me).

1. Download and Flash OS Image to SD card

a. Insert the SD card in the usb reader and insert the usb reader to your computer.
b. Download Raspberry Pi OS Lite (2021-01-11-raspios-buster-armhf-lite.zip).
c. Extract the Raspberry Pi OS Lite zip file in a folder.
d. Download and install Etcher (Etcher-Setup-1.5.116.exe).
e. Open Etcher, select the image where you extracted the Raspberry Pi OS Lite zip file.
f. Flash the OS into SD card.
g. Remove and insert the SD card back again.

Note: Raspberry Pi OS Lite is the Raspberry Pi Operating System. Etcher is the software used to flash the software into the SD card.

1. Configure RPi to connect to the internet

a. Download and install Advanced IP Scanner (Advanced_IP_Scanner_2.5.3850.exe).
b. Download and install Putty (putty-64bit-0.74-installer.exe).
c. Download and install Notepad++ (npp.7.9.3.Installer.exe).
d. Create a text file named wpa_supplicant.conf. (Remove .txt extension if any.)
e. Use Notepad++ to open wpa_supplicant.conf which is in the SD card.
f. Copy and paste the following:

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev

update_config=1

country=<Insert 2 letter ISO 3166-1 country code here>

network={

ssid=“Name of your wireless LAN”;

psk=“Password for your wireless LAN”;

}

g. country = US if you live in the US.
h. Edit with your wifi name and password.
i. Save the file.
j. Create a new txt file named ssh and remove the .txt extension.

Note: Advanced IP scanner is used to help us find the random IP address assigned to RPi when the RPi connects to the internet. Putty is used to secure shell (SSH) or remotely access the raspberry pi by using the IP address. Notepad++ is used to access the files in the SD card.

1. SSH into RPi

a. Insert the SD card into the metal slot of RPi.
b. Power the RPi. Wait for 90 seconds up to 2 minutes.
c. Launch Putty and type raspberrypi for host name. Port should be 22.
d. Click open. Login as pi. Password is raspberry.

You should be able to remotely access the raspberry pi now. RPi is connected to the internet.

Note: To power the RPi you can use a micro usb C cord or connect it to the power distribution of the drone. The RPi can turn on a yellow light indicating that it is setting up something and it is not ready yet to be logged or used. A solid blinking red light means that the RPi is ready to be SSHed.

I hope this helps!

closed #3

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.