Ssh to the pi out in the field

I may have missed something and I’m wondering how folks are ssh’ing to the pi to launch a python program when your outside in the field? Are you using some kind of hotspot for wireless or is there a way to do that through the telemetry radio?
Thanks!
Mark

I’ve personally used a hotspot on my cell phone to connect my drone with my laptop, worked like a charm! There is a video lesson for enabling an ad-hoc lesson though in the optioanl/advanced section of the “How to Build a Raspberry Pi Drone” course: https://courses.dojofordrones.com/courses/495276/lectures/12011941

I tried following the ad-hoc lesson and my pi OS version has some different network utilities. I ended up with no network connection even with an ethernet cable plugged in.

I set up for using my phone as a hotspot. I changed the connection priorities on the pi and my laptop to switch to the hotspot if it’s available.

I have the same issue when i followed the ad-hoc lesson. i ended up with no network and cannot ssh to the rpi4.

Listen to @PhotonJon !

I struggled with this for quite a while but finally have it working! No Internet, no hotspot required. Just a P2P connection between the Pi and a PC laptop in the field. The PC can ssh into the ad hoc network anywhere, and at home, when needed, I can use an ethernet cable to connect the Pi to the Internet and then ssh in using the IP address assigned by my router at home. FWIW, if the Pi is plugged in via ethernet and the PC is connected to the ad hoc network, my home Internet connection is passed along to the PC via the ad hoc network.

I tried tutorials on dozens of sites and watch more youtube videos than I can count, but I finally followed the instructions found here and it worked right away:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/computers/configuration.html#setting-up-a-routed-wireless-access-point

For me, I believe the key was the installation of netfilter-persistant and iptables-persistant. Those items were unique to this tutorial. Hope this helps someone else. I’m using a Pi4 with the latest version of Raspian Buster as of Sept 2021.

Jason

Thanks, I will try it.

@jaygray Want to thank you for all your research on this problem. It has provided another good option.

However, if an ethernet connection cannot be used (eg, RPi zero w), I find now it will not connect to my local wifi, so how to update via the internet?