Calibrating ESCs

For calibrating ESCs and motor spin direction, are we supposed to do this for all 4 motors, or only for the ESC with the red wire not pulled out?

The videos for ESC calibration show the red wires fully intact on the ESC. I pulled 3 of them out because I was told to in the “UBEC removal” video. Am I supposed to plug these back in, in order to calibrate my ESCs? The motors don’t seem to spin, and the RC doesn’t seem to bind when I plug in one of the red-removed ESCs into channel 3.

Calibrating ESCs Motor shaking/stammering

The videos are out of sequence and if you choose to manually calibrate one esc at a time the red wire must be intact in order to furnish power to the receiver. So yes, you will have to put the red wires back in and calibrate each one.

However, since you have already removed them, it would be simpler to calibrate all four esc’s together. Do this by wiring up the drone in the final configuration, ie, put the esc pwm wires (the wires we are talking about) into the flight controller with all power (red) wires removed save for one in order to power the rail. Then follow the calibration procedure with the transmitter. Using this method you save time in that all are done in one go. You should then observe all motors to spin up together properly.

As a side note, there is a convenient method to observe the behavior of each motor in Mission Planner located at SETUP > Optional Hardware > Motor Test.

For more information see

https://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/esc-calibration.html

perfect, thanks!

1st: @jax200 10 points

closed #6