Python error

Starting copter simulator (SITL)

SITL already Downloaded and Extracted.
Ready to boot.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/home/dronedojo/courseRoot/dk/dk/LaunchSkyCasterStealth.py”, line 116, in
vehicle = connectMyCopter()
File “/home/dronedojo/courseRoot/dk/dk/LaunchSkyCasterStealth.py”, line 24, in connectMyCopter
sitl = dronekit_sitl.start_default()
File “/home/johnny/.local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/dronekit_sitl/init.py”, line 462, in start_default
sitl.launch(sitl_args, await_ready=True, restart=True)
File “/home/johnny/.local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/dronekit_sitl/init.py”, line 251, in launch
caps = ArdupilotCapabilities(self.path)
File “/home/johnny/.local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/dronekit_sitl/init.py”, line 160, in init
process = subprocess.Popen([path, ‘–help’], stdout=subprocess.PIPE)
File “/usr/lib/python3.9/subprocess.py”, line 951, in init
self._execute_child(args, executable, preexec_fn, close_fds,
File “/usr/lib/python3.9/subprocess.py”, line 1821, in _execute_child
raise child_exception_type(errno_num, err_msg, err_filename)
OSError: [Errno 8] Exec format error: ‘/home/johnny/.dronekit/sitl/copter-3.3/apm’
johnny@johnny-desktop:/home/dronedojo/courseRoot/dk/dk$ python3 LaunchSkyCasterStealth.py
Ready to boot.
File “/home/dronedojo/courseRoot/dk/dk/LaunchSkyCasterStealth.py”, line 116, in
vehicle = connectMyCopter()
File “/home/dronedojo/courseRoot/dk/dk/LaunchSkyCasterStealth.py”, line 24, in connectMyCopter
File “/home/johnny/.local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/dronekit_sitl/init.py”, line 462, in start_default
File “/home/johnny/.local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/dronekit_sitl/init.py”, line 251, in launch
File “/home/johnny/.local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/dronekit_sitl/init.py”, line 160, in init
File “/usr/lib/python3.9/subprocess.py”, line 951, in init
self._execute_child(args, executable, preexec_fn, close_fds,
File “/usr/lib/python3.9/subprocess.py”, line 1821, in _execute_child
raise child_exception_type(errno_num, err_msg, err_filename)
OSError: [Errno 8] Exec format error: ‘/home/johnny/.dronekit/sitl/copter-3.3/apm’

Any idea of how to resolve this? I am trying to migrate all the files from the VirtualBox onto a physical Ubuntu RaspberryPi & am close to having it working…Minus this last error message… Any ideas?

Hi there @northdacoder!

Sorry for the delay.

You may run into problems because the VM (in the course) uses python2 and it looks like you’re trying to port to python3. There is a good guide on how you can get the course material up and running with python3 and ubuntu 20.04 by @dash, though I have not done this yet.

May I ask why you’re wanting to run SITL from the PI as opposed to on a desktop/laptop?

Hello there,

@northdacoder did get this issue fixed?. I have the same problem, I’m using my raspberry pi to run the scripts, and anyone I pick from the Dronekit examples folder gives me the same error. Please let me know if you get a solution for this problem.

Regards,

If @northdacoder doesn’t respond, list out your build steps and I will try to help.

Hello @jax200,

Thanks for reaching out. I not doing nothing out of the normal, I have a raspberry pi 4 that I’m planning to use as the companion computer, I just follow the step describes by this youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB9YyG2V-nA&t=1428s which I belive it’s was made from the team that runs this forum, Oh BTW it a very good video. I copy that same script that has been build on the video and it’s work fine for me but, any script I try to run from the dronekit example folder I’m getting this error:

Start simulator (SITL)
Ready to boot.
File “hello.py”, line 5, in
File “/home/pi/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/dronekit_sitl/init.py”, line 462, in start_default
File “/home/pi/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/dronekit_sitl/init.py”, line 251, in launch
File “/home/pi/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/dronekit_sitl/init.py”, line 160, in init
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py”, line 394, in init
errread, errwrite)
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py”, line 1047, in _execute_child
raise child_exception
OSError: [Errno 8] Exec format error

I try adding this lines #!/usr/bin/env python; # -- coding: utf-8 -- at the top of the script but I’m getting the same result. I really don’t know what I’m missing or what I need to add in order to have those examples scripts running.

I really appreciate all your help, if it’s there anything else you need please let me know I’ll be more than happy sharing it with you.

Regards,

Why do you want to run the SITL on a Raspberry Pi? You should do this on a PC or laptop. Run the dronekit code on the RPi for real drone flights. Let me know your thoughts.

Hello jax200

I found out I was running the wrong script. I’m just needed to run a simple test communication between the Pixhwak and the raspberry and I believe that the script you provided on the video gives me what I need. from now on I’ll continue dining some flight tests. Thanks for all your support.

Hi there, I fixed it.

I got the same error and figured that it was because I was running an ARM version of Ubuntu 20.04 on parallels on my M1 mac.

You have to build the binaries for the ARM version, and it’s a simple process.

Run the following code in your terminal:

cd ~/courseRoot/apm2/ardupilot/
make -j4 sitl

After running the above, the build process should finish and the build directory should be listed. Mine was at:

/home/parallels/courseRoot/apm2/ardupilot/build/sitl/bin/

cd into the directory and copy the new build (named arducopter) to replace the old build which is in @northdacoder case (the apm file), located at,

/home/johnny/.dronekit/sitl/copter-3.3/apm

Don’t forget to rename your new build to ‘apm’.

Now execute and watch your sitl come up via dronekit.