Problem settin up SITL. 'future' not found

I am working on a RP3b, Lubuntu 16.04 and Ardupilot 3.5.5. I have worked my way through to the SITL first run on the Programming Course. I am using 16.04 for a number of reasons. The comment regarding that the course was built and tested on that version AND I am going to be using a Navio2 for my drone and it has been recommended to stay with Ardupilot 3.5.5. I have a PC with Virtural Box up and running without problems, but I think I need to make this work. It would appear that although 3.5.5 is still available, some of the repository URL’s are outdated.

I got the through the basic installing by changing some config lines from git:// to https:// which was solved by reading some forum posts. The waf list_boards finally worked. Then I found some of the same issues git vs https starting sim_vehicle.py and removed most errors and I am at the the following screen.Screenshot%20from%202022-11-06%2020-42-47

Any ideas appreciated.

Opening mavgen.py in Visual Studio (VS) shows three import errors:
from future import standard_library
from lxml import etree
import StringIO as io

The following screen shot shows that using Python 2.7.17 there are no errors but when using Python 3.6.9 there are errors. Hope this helps.

david@hp-office:~$ python
Python 2.7.17 (default, Jul 1 2022, 15:56:32)
[GCC 7.5.0] on linux2
Type “help”, “copyright”, “credits” or “license” for more information.

from lxml import etree
import StringIO as io
quit()

david@hp-office:~$ python3
Python 3.6.9 (default, Jun 29 2022, 11:45:57)
[GCC 8.4.0] on linux
Type “help”, “copyright”, “credits” or “license” for more information.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “”, line 1, in
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘future’

from lxml import etree
File “”, line 1, in
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘lxml’

import StringIO as io
File “”, line 1, in
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘StringIO’

I have installed version 2.7.12. I will try to update to -.17 and see what happens. Thank you!

The default on my system is 2.7.12 and no alternatives were found. The single error from mavgen remains.